Commonwealth News Internship
Location: London, UK Duration: September 2012 to January 2013 (approximately 5 months) Closing Date: 9 Jul 2012
The Communications and Public Affairs Division of the Commonwealth Secretariat is seeking a young journalist from one of the following countries in Europe or the Americas to undertake an approximate five month attachment with the Secretariat in London from September 2012 to January 2013. The candidate must be a citizen of one of the following countries:
· United Kingdom
The attachment provides an opportunity to gain work experience and training in the production and dissemination of written articles for our websites and publications, social media platforms, general publicity materials and our e-mail news bulletin, Commonwealth News. The internship is rotated among the regions of the Commonwealth every 5-6 months.
1. The candidate should:
· be under 35 years of age;
· be a journalist with between three and five years experience working with an English-language newspaper, news agency or national information agency. Recent graduates in journalism or a related discipline, who have less than three years experience but show promise and ability as a news or features writer, will also be considered;
· have experience of using social media platforms including Facebook and Twitter;
· be computer literate, including experience using Microsoft Word and database and e-mailing software;
· preferably have a knowledge of the Commonwealth and of development issues; and
· preferably have lived in or visited a developing Commonwealth country.
The successful candidate will be working at the Commonwealth Secretariat in London and will be paid an allowance to cover expenses. This includes a fixed monthly allowance to cover accommodation and a fixed daily allowance for living expenses. The total allowance amounts to approximately £1,800 per month (before taxes and deductions). A return air ticket (economy class) will be provided, as will additional reimbursements for some transportation and short-term accommodation expenses and visa costs.
If the successful candidate is in full-time employment, his or her employer will be requested to provide a guarantee that the candidate will be able to return to his/her job after the attachment is completed. While working at the Secretariat, the intern will have the opportunity to report on Commonwealth events for their news organisation, after having fulfilled his/her daily duties as required by the internship.
How to apply:
A résumé, covering letter (including full address, country of citizenship and contact details), and a copy of your passport page featuring your photo should be sent via e-mail to the Online Editor at email@example.com no later than Monday, 9 July 2012 (1700GMT).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to write an assessment and provide samples of their published writing. The final stage will be a phone interview.